I generally use the PMCode option and curry the argument into a ref on the Perl
side, pass the ref into the PP code itself, and have the PP code manipulate the
pointed-to value inside the ref (using SvRV).  Then the PMCode unpacks the
pointer and returns the value.  Sort of a pain but it works.

[https://perldoc.perl.org/perlguts#References]