Hi all

Thanks Ed and others for the great job you do maintaining and developing PDL. Hats off!

Today I got news that 2.078 was available so I promptly went on CPAN and hit upgrade. But for the first time in *many* years PDL did not just build smoothly right away.

Upon investigation I see that PDL complains about Proj4 and HDF4 lacking when trying to build PDL::Transform. Problem is I cannot find anywhere in perdl.conf where I can tell PDL not to care about this and not run the t/gis_proj.t and t/proj_transform.t tests. If I remember correctly that possibility existed years ago. Can we still build PDL without using Proj? Perhaps using --force? But that is not very elegant ...

A related question is: does PDL really need Alien::* for this stuff? I would prefer not to mess with that because these packages install lots of stuff I do not need nor want in my system. I actually work everyday with geoinformatics and normally have the latest gdal/ogr and proj. If PDL needs proj I believe it would be much better to have PDL rely on those rather than some whimsical Alien::* installing ancient proj4 versions (proj is v. 9 now).

Less serious stuff:
- Glut fails to install at the end but this has been the case for many months and not been a problem - there are a lot of FORTRAN warnings (see exerpt below), perhaps some deprecated syntax that the latest gfortran (11.2.1 20220316) does not like.

Good things:
- Core, FFTW, GSL build smoothly as usual.

Best

Hernán

# # # # # #
# some fortran warnings
# # # # # #

Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: DO termination statement which is not END DO or CONTINUE with label 120 at (1)
slatec/tred2.f:112:72:

  112 |   180       G = G + Z(J,K) * Z(I,K)
| 1
Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: DO termination statement which is not END DO or CONTINUE with label 180 at (1)
slatec/tred2.f:118:72:

  118 |   200       G = G + Z(K,J) * Z(I,K)
| 1
Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: DO termination statement which is not END DO or CONTINUE with label 200 at (1)
slatec/tred2.f:131:72:

  131 |             DO 260 K = 1, J
| 1
Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: Shared DO termination label 260 at (1)
slatec/tred2.f:149:72:

  149 |   340       G = G + Z(I,K) * Z(K,J)
| 1
Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: DO termination statement which is not END DO or CONTINUE with label 340 at (1)
slatec/tred2.f:151:72:

  151 |             DO 360 K = 1, L
| 1
Warning: Fortran 2018 deleted feature: Shared DO termination label 360 at (1)