Hi all,

This dinosaur just upgraded from PDL v2.025 to v.2.084 (yes, I know that is
lame)

I noticed a few things when running one of my complicated codes, I will start
seperate email threads

This last one - I had PDL::NiceSlice failing randomly halfway through a long
module?

So the module has ‘use PDL::NiceSlice’

then a line line this:

          $FOO($ix) .= 1;

causes a syntax error (i.e. in compilation) if placed at line 247 but not at
line 249. Here is the surrounding code with line numbersso you can see it was
innocuous :

syntax error at /Users/karl/Software/perl/KGB/Redshift.pm line 251, near "$FOO("
Execution of /Users/karl/Software/perl/KGB/Redshift.pm aborted due to
compilation errors.
Compilation failed in require at /Users/karl/Software/bin/pdlredshift line 3.

(The mismatch of line numbers seems to be related to the use of hereto text
earlier in the code, the debugger shows different line numbers)

(I was just placing those no-op statements in to try and see what was going
on). As expected using ->slice instead causes the code to compile

I guess we should be cautious of the robustness of NiceSlice?

best

Karl