Bugs item #3294808, was opened at 2011-04-29 03:43
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by marshallch
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100612&aid=3294808&group_id=612

not just the latest update.
>Category: core
Group: None

Initial Comment:
On my Mac and also on a Linux system, with the current git (2.4.9_001), calling
sever  on an empty piddle results in a segfault:

pdl> $img = zeroes(100,100)

pdl> $coords = which($img!=0)

pdl> $vals = $img->indexND($coords)->sever;

Segmentation fault

I do not get the error when running PDL 2.4.7 or 2.4.8 (in those cases the null
piddle is returned).  I also do not get a segfault when I do not include the
sever().  Without the sever, $img->indexND($coords) is PDL->null (when doing
pdl>?vars).  But for reasons I don't understand, I don't get the segfault if I
try to trip the error more directly:

pdl> $a = PDL->null
pdl> $b = $a->sever;
pdl> $c = PDL->null->sever
pdl>

Date: 2011-04-29 10:34

Message:
I don't get the same problem on cygwin but that is not OS X
or a 64bit OS (you don't include the perldl -V or perl -V output
so I'm guessing here).

I can point out that the problem is for Empty piddles and
not Null piddles.  Those were added/fixed for more edge
cases with the recent fixes to the PDL constructor.  It is possible
that this is a symptom of the same problem relating to the
other OS X segfaults being reported.  What do you get when
you look at the core with gdb?