I'm in the market to buy a new film scanner in the next month (I'm giving my
S20 to my father so he scan 50 years of family photographs and annotate them
as a digital legacy to all his descendants).

My upcoming bonus at work should be nice enough to afford something better
than an S20.

What do people recommend?

I've found this site with some comparisons:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM

Here the Polaroid 4000 is compared to an S20 and LS2000, and at 4000 DPi,
comes out well:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~rnclark/scandetail.htm

Is the Polaroid the best in consumer level film scanners these days?  Are
there any new generation models coming out in the next few months that might
be worth waiting for?

The Polaroid SprintScan 120 looks pretty amazing (but have to wait until
April 2001 for it):
http://www.polaroid.com/products/digital_imaging/scanners/ss120/specs.html

Thanks,
Gerald