I wouldn't use red lights from home depot. They're probably not sealed
completely, and how can you be sure the red is at the correct
wavelength? It could be "reddish", and still fog the crap out of the
paper.

I guess a safelight test would tell you whether they work or not. Even
if they seem to work, I'd still be worried they'd degrade.

Do you really want to print on 4x5? It's not much fun.

The only things I've been able to get cheap for the darkroom are my
benches (on sale at Ikea), my 50mm nikkor (through a friend), and some
chemicals that were mis-labeled. Otherwise, it all came from the B+H or
Abbey.

For a while I was spending time trying to find deals, but realized I had
better ways of spending my time.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

tv