----- Original Message -----
From: Alin Flaider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: A new DSLR standard emerging? (WAS: Re: Nikon DX
lenses: Is this what Pentax is up to?)

>    I don't feel that moving to a lower sensor size has
anything to do
>    with maintaining a SLR system, which is the whole point
with
>    preserving the current 35mm lens mount.
>    Few of the existing 35mm lenses (and most of us have quite
a few)
>    will be of any use for their intended purpose - focal
ranges will
>    shift, special qualities will be lessened. I can't see what
I might
>    do with half of my lenses mounted on an "APS" sensor
camera. I'll
>    have to drop them entirely and have it replaced with "APS"
lenses
>    that fit the original bill. Then I'll end up with 2
different
>    systems, one for film and the other one for digital, so
where's the
>    point in staying with Pentax after all?
>
>    Don't tell me that some specialized photography like sports
will
>    benefit - I couldn't care less. Most of us came to build
well
>    balanced, optimized systems that fill their needs -
breaking it will
>    destroy the very idea of system. Pentax might as well come
up with
>    another mount. No difference here from the Olympus four
thirds
>    proposition. At least they were outspoken from the very
beginning.

Here, though, is the conundrum. For me to move to a digital SLR,
I would find it preferable to have backwards compatability with
the 30 or so lenses I already own, whether or not the chip size
causes an effective shft in focal range.
I can live with that, I don't really see it as that big an
issue.
I can live with buying a few more short focal lenghts, or
perhaps a short focal length zoom to get the wide angles, but I
won't happily repurchase 30 lenses.
I would much rather learn to shift focal lengths, use my 35mm
f/2 as a standard, my 50mm f/1.4 as a portrait, etc.
Perhaps this is my pro background showing, perhaps just
pragmatism.

William Robb