"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Okay, it's official:  I suck at doing "digital darkroom" stuff.
>I saw others' complaints about the time required to do the post
>processing digitally instead of handing it off to a lab to do
>wet, and even with that in mind I'm too slow.  And whether it's
>lack of skill, lack of tools, or both (it doesn't help that the
>machine on which I can display my editing software (GIMP) I only
>have 8-bit colour), I'm not being as effective at tweaking things
>as I'd like.  Grrrr.
>
>This is, of course, subject to change after study and practice,
>but that's not helping with the deadline I'm bumping into right
>now.  *sigh*

Study and practice are indeed the keys.

I've been giving prints as Christmas gifts and have no trouble going from
"insert the slide into the scanner" to "print emerges from the inkjet
printer" in about 30 minutes. That might seem like a long time, but most of
it is in Photoshop work (dust spots, levels adjustment, unsharp mask) and
never needs to be done again for that scan, so extra prints are a
point-and-click proposition. Also, this is for 12 x 18 prints of quality
that I'd be willing to display myself (admittedly, I'm choosing slides that
don't need anything more than basic Photoshop work - the quality of the
original slide has a huge effect on how long it takes to make a decent
print). For smaller, less critical prints I'd load slides into the bulk
feeder, batch scan and print with less Photoshop work.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing