"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Do any of you shooting any of the other formats (35mm, 6x4.5, 6x7, or
>6x9) ever crop?  It would appear that if 6x6 is a waste of space due to
>cropping that would suggest that no one or very few crop at all when using
>any of the other formats. I personally crop a lot of 35 and have cropped
>6x4.5 as well.  I'm curious about this.

I very, very rarely crop, but that's not the same thing as never, is it? ;-)

Truthfully, I usually get my compositions pretty much set up to use as much
of the film as possible, in order to minimize the amount of enlargement
necessary, even when I'm shooting medium format. Sometimes, though, I just
can't get a composition to work in the camera's height/width ratio - this
happens most often with 35mm. So I occasionally crop to a 3:4 or 4:5 ratio.
Sometimes (even more rarely) I'll use a "quasi-panoramic" 1:2 ratio.

I'd say I go "uncropped" about 98% of the time.
--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing