Here's a question I've been pondering lately: How, exactly, does TTL flash
metering work? Obviously, the light meter in the camera takes readings
"through the lens" and passes that information to the flash. But flash
exposure is very dependent on distance. For any given flash output really
close objects will be overexposed and very distant objects will be
underexposed, while objects some distance in between will be properly
exposed. So what I'm wondering is, how does TTL flash work without the flash
having any information about the distance to the objects being illuminated?

I have no doubt that it *does* work; I've been getting quite good at outdoor
fill flash lately, using either the PZ-1p or MZ-S with an AF400FTZ. I'd just
to know why what I'm doing works as well as it does.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing