It's a ping because I've received nothing from the list for over 24
hours. I see from the archive that the list is up, so I can see from
the (non-)appearance of this message if I'm still subscribed.

It's a fit of mild pique because I see from the list that the usual
herd of yahoos has decided to piss on an interesting and serious
subject to the extent that I'm now glad I've missed most of the
pissing.

If I'm not subscribed I may well stay that way since the grunts haven't
the basic manners to stay out of threads that don't interest them, but
instead choose to sabotage them.

Bob