Peter wrote:

PA> You must be kidding.  Every SLR they've introduced since 1987, except for
PA> LX and K1000 variants were highly dependant on electronics and
PA> software, (usually in the form of firmware). The days of
PA> mechanical or even electro-mechanical cameras with a bit of add on
PA> electronics in the form of meter have been over for a long time.
PA> The MZ/ZX series of cameras are highly sophisticated computers
PA> with plastic camera shaped shells wrapped around them.

   Image transformation routines are a bit more CPU intensive than
   exposure calculation and power management. Previously 4 bit data
   channels and 1 KHz system clocks were more than enough to drive a
   film camera. The hardware demand peaked with the F5 that included a
   16 bit processor. Nowadays you can't even touch a megapixel in real
   time without processors ticking in MHz.
   I believe that Henry is right: Pentax needed a stronger foothold in
   electronics. That 0.01s shutter lag in Optio-S must be largely due
   to the Sanyo components.

   Servus, Alin