Dave,

I have had two Universal Press cameras, the first had the 3.5, the second
had the 2.8. In both cases I had 2 6x7 backs for negative film, a 6x9 for
chromes, and a Polaroid for proofing and event photography. Never had
anything other than the normal 100mm lens.

You have to know that they are all manual press cameras. Nothing but he
rangefinder & focusing is interconnected. That means you have to cock the
shutter manually. Advance the film manually. Those are not connected like
most modern cameras. There is a dark slide that has to be pulled when you
mount the filmholder. If you forget any of that you mess up the shot. Or two
shots in the case of forgetting to advance the film.

Despite all that, I would buy another instantly if I had the money. I only
sold them because I got in a bind and needed the money desperately. They
make superb photos. And I have made more money with them than any other
camera I have ever owned. These things are big, heavy, and rugged, sort of
the Mack Truck of cameras. The black (later) model makes everyone think you
are a "PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER" (yep, in caps with quotes).

Some things to watch out for: If it looks like the front has been removed
(missing cover plates loose coverings) don't buy it, there are stacks of
super thin shims at each of the 6 mounting bolts that are used to alight the
lens to the back, if they have not been put back exactly as they were the
camera is junk unless you have the equipment to realign it. The rangefinder
is sometimes knocked out of alignment. Viewfinder/Rangefinder is often very
dirty, but can be cleaned. Backs often have sticky devolved foam light
traps. The 2.8 lens needs the factory lens shade because it will flare
terribly without it, but the quality is so good it is worth having despite
that. The top is often bent because someone has put a flash on the accessory
shoe the top of the camera. That shoe was intended for accessory
viewfinders, the shoe on the grip should be used to mount a flash. A Vivitar
283/285 works perfectly with them though I used a 400WS Lumedyne with the
first one, and either a 283 or a Norman 200B (200WS) with the second one
depending on how much light I felt I would need, as I quite often used them
at night events outdoors.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto