Alin Flaider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Never been that glad to be proved wrong!
>
>  After the first look:
>  - the picture is still that of the film *ist;
>  - the viewfinder looks promising: 0.95x and 95% coverage,

Of course, that's because it only has to cover the smaller area exposed
by the sensor, as opposed to the 24 x 36 area exposed in the film
version.

>  still with the dreaded superimposed AF sensors;

I agree, but that's probably the best solution when you start to get
lots of AF sensors (which seems to be what the market is demanding)

>  - it is compatible with the K lenses!

And they *specifically* mention K, M, screw-mount and 645 and 67 lenses!
(They gotta be monitoring the list! HAR!) They do mention that there are
limitations when using adaptors, but I assume that means no AF and
stop-down metering when using screw-mount, 645 and 67 lenses. I'll let
the inevitable pessimist contingent speculate otherwise ;-)

>  [there go two of my main objections...]
>
>  - hyper-manual, never mentioned for *ist !

I expect hyper manual is on the film *ist, just because the control
electronics are so similar, but the digital camera apparently has a
pentaprism, rather than the penta-mirror of the film camera.

Also note that the new wide angle being introduced is specifically
described as being suitable for film cameras (it's not limited to the
frame size of the DSLR). 28-54 equivalent means it'll be about 18mm to
35mm actual focal length.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing