When I was looking in the shop at work for aluminum foil I found a
Spotmatic F and some lenses; 50/1.4, 50/4 macro, 28/3.5 with metal hood,
extension tubes.  The lenses also had weird feedthroughs that looked like
a screw mount version of open aperture metering.  Whee!  I asked around,
none of it had been used in a decade and nobody had any intention of
using it.  It had been long forgotten.

But this is NIST, part of the US gummint.  That means, due to efforts to
keep people from abusing The System, the only possible way I could get my
hands on it is if it were surplused, then if one day perhaps years from
now those items are sold at auction, and I happen to be around to win the
bid.

The boss said I'm free to take it home and use it, it just has to remain
NIST property.  And that's nice, except it sure puts a damper on things
like getting minor repairs done, collecting accessories, me moving away in
six months, etc.

Oh, well.