More OT stuff about Russian engineering:

I have just acquired a Soviet era compound microscope. Every single control
was frozen solid with hardened grease. It took me a week to get it all to
pieces, cleaned, adjusted and back together. The image is reasonable
considering the objectives and eyepieces are only achromats - not flat field
optics. I nearly bust a gut getting it in and out of the car - it weighs
19,5kg! The microscope is a copy of one of the Leitz instruments of the
1980s or thereabout. The only trouble I anticipate is finding replacement
light bulbs. The one in the lamp housing looks new, but is of a pattern I've
never seen before. As soon as I've found a phototube (that can be modified
to fit the frame) I'll be in the photomicrographic game again.

The finish on the mechanical parts, slides, screws and in particular the
fine focus mechanism is rather rough. The grease they used contained
graphite which became as solid as cement. This made disassembly very
difficult. I soaked some parts in light petrol ether overnight and even then
it was difficult.

Where I'm going to store this monster when its not in use I have no idea. At
the moment its up on top of a filing cabinet, but getting it there was a
weight lifting exercise. There's no place you can get a good grip.
Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery
Updated: March 30, 2002