See comments below (long):

On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 02:14 PM, Pål Jensen wrote:

But then you get worse compatibility with older lenses. Frankly, I can't see any K and M lens owner going to buy an *ist, just like they don't buy the MZ-60.

I own three M lenses and I might buy an *ist. I know that Pål insists that the *ist is "entry level" and therefore in the same class as the MZ-60 (despite the fact that at B&H the *ist is $299 and the MZ-60 $149). There are, however, a number of features that make the *ist attractive to an enthusiast whereas the MZ/ZX-60 is not:

Metering: 2 segment on the MZ-60 with no option for spot or center; 16 segment with spot and center weighted on the *ist

Flash: The MZ-60 doesn't support the new flash system, despite being released after its introduction

No DOF preview on MZ-60

AF system: Not really a fair comparison, but the AF in the MZ-60 is limited even when compared to other cameras in the MZ series.

I don't believe the MZ-60 shows shutter and aperture info in the viewfinder, nor does it show an exposure bar graph (someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To put it simply, putting the MZ-60 and the *ist in the same category is crazy. These are two very different cameras, targeted at very different markets, with very different price points. Lens mount issues aside, the MZ-60 offers very little (if anything) to the advanced amateur photographer. The *ist is a perfect compromise camera for someone wanting several solid features on a budget. yeah, I know they come from different lines, but PRICE DETERMINES HOW A CAMERA IS SOLD not some marketing hack calling it "entry level"

If you walk into the average US camera store, you see two pentax models on the shelf: The ZX-60 and the ZX-L. The *ist will probably take the ZX-L's shelf space, but I just don't see people looking for a $150 camera paying $300 just because somebody claims the *ist is "entry level"

Of course, it might be that my infiormation is wrong but I would not preorder the *ist if you plan to use K and M lenses with it.

This is about the only thing Pål has said since the *ist was introduced that I agree with. Frankly, if you care much about anything you shouldn't buy without at least reading some reviews.

-Matt