On 11 Mar 2003 at 15:56, Andre Langevin wrote:

> True that some ghosts still have a lot of flair but, joke apart, are
> you sure lens coatings only improved ghosting?  I think it
> contributes to lower "flare level" of a lens even if lens
> construction is mostly involved.  Or have I been mislead by some
> readings?

Ghost images are most usually a product of a bright light source reflecting off
the glass surfaces (as it often has a discernible form). Whereas light
reflected off the walls of the lens inside the barrel or off the hood or inside
the body cavity have a scattered reflections and therefore produce veiling
flare or an overall reduction in contrast.

So coatings reduce light loss, light loss is in the form of reflection
therefore it's also safe to assume that contrast is improved too.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/publications.html
Pentax user since 1986 PDMLer since 1998