From: Matt Bevers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:19:14 -0500

If I were to buy right now, my choices based on price would be a ZX-L, ZX-5n or an *ist. Of these, the *ist definitely seems to be the best feature-wise, but if it can't use K and M lenses (and it seems like it won't be able to) I'll be stuck without a wide angle lens. Despite some feature limitations, the L and 5n seem like good options, but who's to say that they'll still be available in a few months time?

The ZX-L is only one year old. It won't dissapear this year.
Look at the MZ-7 (ZX-7 in the U.S), it's still available new. And the MZ-6 (ZX-L) replaced it last spring... Pentax dropped the price of the MZ/ZX-7, and the same will surely happen to the MZ-6 (ZX-L). The MZ/ZX-5n are more in danger, since sales are dropping fast.

Ideally, Pentax will release a 5n replacement that I'll be able to >afford,

I believe that the new mid market *ist will cost as the EOS 30/33.

well look at Canon or Nikon since I'll have to buy new lenses anyway. Features like USM and IS aside, C and N are simply easier to find here in the US and new lenses are often more affordable.

Can't speak for the US market, but when I compare prices in Sweden - Pentax are very competetive. And many of their lenses is less expensive than Nikon and Canon offerings. Only a few of the high-end FA* lenses (like the FA* 80-200 f/2.8) are more expensive than Canon and Nikon's offerings, the rest of the lenses cost the same or less.

If we compare the *ist to the new F75 (N75) from Nikon, we finds that the *ist is far superior.

11 AF points with multiple cross sensors instead of 5 with a single cross sensor, 1/4000 shutter instead of 1/2000, 1/125 flash x sync instead of 1/90, high-speed-flash sync instead of none at all, spot metering available in all exposure modes instead of spot metering linked to the AE-L button, centreweighted and multisegment metering available in all modes instead of multisegment metering only for auto exposure modes and centreweighted only for manual mode, programmable functions like auto bracketing range and if the film leader should be left out when rewinding instead of poor programmable functions that controls AE-L behavior (spot metering or matrix) and if the LCD panel should be lit when dark or not...

Price is more or less the same (379 euro for the *ist, around 350 euro for the F75).

The *ist brings EOS 30/33 features to entry level market.
If it just had support for USM and IS, but it might have. It doesn't have a standard KAF mount, it's something "fishy" with it.

Best wishes,
Roland

_________________________________________________________________ Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/