Dust and dirt and other types of crud tend to get in there too, if you don;t have the cap. After a few years, the connection can corrode, as well, uless it is gold plated.

Len
----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How important is that little cap?
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:39:52 -0700

How important is the "Electronic cable release socket cap", that little bit of plastic that covers the socket for the cable release on the ZX-M and related bodies?

Just realized that mine turned up missing. At first glance, it doesn't seem very important -- the cap itself doesn't make a tight seal, meaning the only purpose it could serve would be to protect the contact pins from physical damage, and the pins are recessed, making such damage unlikely. Suppose it could also serve to protect the inner electronics from electrostatic discharge.

I'm mostly inclined to believe it's a cosmetic thing, in which case I'll get along well enough without it.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR