Maybe I need to see a shrink, but if you saw me mentioning the focal length, I suggest
you re-read
my message and keep your imagination in check.

I was talking about *dimensions*:

d has dimensions of *length* (m, yards, leagues)
c has dimensions of *length* (mm, inches, miles, a.e)
m is dimensionless (magnification)
f is either dimensionless (Mark, me), or has dimensions
  of aperture, that is, diameter, i.e. length (cm,
  feet, parsec)

(m+1)/m^2 is dimensionless.
f*c MUST have dimensions of length, to be consistent
with the fact that

d ~ f*c* [dimensionless constant]

therefore, f *must* be dimensionless, in other words, it is an F-stop, not the actual
aperture diameter. that
is unless you measure DOF in square feet or
magnification in inches. but that would be a totally
different subject <vbg>.

is that clear *now*?

best,
Mishka