Further to my saga about re-celling a NiCad Pack LX so that I could use
it with my newly aquired Motor Drive MX: the pack is now completed, and
functioning great. Anyone in the UK wishing to undertake the exercise
should read Rob Studdert's excellent reference at:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/lxnicdpack.html

but if you can find the relevant replacement batteries in the UK, you've
search longer and harder than the literally dozens of phone calls I made.
Instead, order from the equally excellent Batteries America:

http://www.mrnicd-ehyostco.com/newpage3.htm

where 4 sticks of three cells each were made up and shipped out to me for
a total of 62 dollars (about 43 UKP paid by credit card - I phoned the
order through on first thing Friday morning Wisconson time - EST?). They
were shipped out on Monday the 5th of March from Wisconson and arrived
five days later on Saturday the 11th.

The actual recelling job itself took a couple of hours, but I was being
very thorough, and my soldering technique is more akin to arc welding; a
more proficient person could halve the time, I am sure.

As far as costs go, it's not cheap, but cheaper than buying a NiCad pack
in good condition - if you can find one. They rarely come without an LX
motor drive attached - nice if you've got the LX ;-) and are all likely
to need recelling anyway. My pack came with a charger (Charge Pack M) and
was bought as seen for 120 UKP. Add the recelling, and that's up to over
160 UKP. Hefty.

Is it worth it to get from the 2 fps with the Winder MX to the 5 fps of
the drive? IMHO, yes. Using old-fashioned (!) equipment is very much a
cognitive decision, and so supporting that equipment with any and all
ancillary add-ons is all part and parcel. If you run an old sports car,
you tend to (want to) try and restore it to it's former glory, often at
greater cost than perhaps buying a modern sports car. The point is, I
decided I don't want a modern sports car - just yet!

Cheers,

Cotty

Cotty's MacAds - free UK Macintosh classified ads at www.macads.co.uk
Adverts to [EMAIL PROTECTED] / all  other  abuse to [EMAIL PROTECTED]