Paul Strevetsky asks:

>Is the SMC 50/1.4K built as well as the best Pentax
>50 or 55mm screwmount lenses?

My K's have a focus feel about the same as the Takumars. And
like the Takumars, if the helicoid grease is fluid enouph the
focus feel is just about perfect. The best Takumars I have are a
little better than the K's, but I have many Takumars; few K's.
Strangely, the aperture ring of the K's is much coarser than the
Takumars. The difference in feel is extreme.

>"The Takumar in question is a used lens, more than
25 years old. It is well built. If focuses more smoothly
>than any other lens I have ever used.......

>I wonder, however, whether the Leica user was
>referring to a normal lens of an earlier vintage than
>the Super Tak SMC.

Probably.

>He goes on to write, "It does have this wierd
>veiling-glare thing going on in some kinds of light that
>makes the highlights look almost flashed. Oh well.
>It ain't perfect."

>Doesn't sound like a description of a fully multicoated
>SMC. Maybe by the time the SMC came out, Pentax
>had begun to cut a few corners.

I'm guessing it was a Super-Takumar. Correct me if wrong, but I
think multicoating and super-multicoating are different things.
I've always been under the impression that Super-Takumars are
multicoated.

Mark Rofini