Thanks Paul, that info definitely widens my knowledge base and gives me a clearer idea of what I am looking for in a flash. Thanks.

Charlton

If I had wanted to put up with "high maintenance" I would have married a primadonna with a Harley.

www.geocities.com/siarlbychan

From: "Paul Ewins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Flash Coverage - was Camera size and lens size.
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:47:42 -0700

> What does it mean to "cover" a 28mm lens?

It means that the output from the flash is spread wide enough to cover
the angle of view of a 28mm lens. It will also cover lenses with a
narrower angle of view, i.e. 35mm, 50mm etc.
Most cheap flashes have a fixed area that they cover, typically
equivalent to a 35mm (focal length that is) lens. More expensive ones
either have a "zoom head" with a lens that can be moved in or out to
match the focal length of the lens you are using, or have clip on lenses
that spread the light (for wide angle) or concentrate it (for telephoto
lenses).
My Pentax AF400FTZ takes both approaches, with a zoom head for 28mm -
105mm and an add-on lens for 24mm. This ensures that you have the
maximum amount of light available regardless of focal length. If I used
a 105mm lens with one of the cheap flashes with a fixed 35mm coverage
then most of the power of the flash would be used illuminating things
outside the actual photo!

BTW, I think the AF400FTZ was introduced around the time of the SF
series cameras, so that probably is the best choice for you unless you
plan to upgrade to an *ist-D or an MZ-S in the near future.

Hope that helps,

Paul Ewins
Melbourne, Australia

Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es