Seems sensible. Time for me to head back to the bleachers. Enjoy.

Otis Wright

Cotty wrote:

As someone who is (or was) new to this list and who was shown some of the
ropes of this list, I think it would be a fine idea if some guidelines were
published to avoid having a repeat of what happened to me. No doubt during
the years more unwritten guidelines have developed. Just as many lists have
rules, why not have a set of guidelines. It won't harm anyone, but will
guide members through to fine postings.

Hi paul,

As Otis says, there are no rules.

Look at it this way - if there are no rules, then all you can do is
hypthesize in your own mind, by taking particular events to a probable
conclusion (you following this??) thus:

Scenario 1:

You decide that, as this is an unmoderated list, you want to continue
posting eBay auctions at your discretion. Well that's fine and dandy.
Unfortunately, what will happen then is that it's highly likely that
someone else will chip in and ask you to stop, which of course, being an
unmoderated list, is quite likely. Then you will find a few others
chipping in with reasons why it's not a bad thing, until the argument
becomes very polarised, and 2 camps develop. This is not good. Eventually
a flame war will develop, and one or two, possibly several people will
unsubscribe (and the rest of us will sit back and breathe a sigh of
relief that it's over, and carry on regardless ;-) and it will die down.

Scenario 2: You decide that, as you quite like Pentax gear, and quite
like discussing it on an email list, you won't post about eBay auctions
willy nilly - eg as a matter of course - and keep those happy who have in
themselves decided to object, even though there is absolutely no basis
for there objections *on an unmoderated list*. Hence, discussions stay
civil, and most folk are happy. There is no flame war about eBay
auctions, and things stay nice and quiet.

Scenario 3: You decide you don't like either of the above, and unsubscribe.

***

When I first joined the list, the exact same thing happened to me, and at
first I could not understand why anyone would object. Oh but I was young
(er) and naive in those days. Someone bollocked me - maybe even Uncle
Bill - and I think I pointed out the helpful nature of my postings
regarding this eBay auction or that eBay auction. But then a strange
thing happened to me. It was called 'enablement'.

I started watching some auctions because I wanted to buy some lenses
after reading about other people's experiences here on the PDML. I found
that, as I was watching an auction, I turned from a kind, placid
individual into some sort of financial whizz-kid, enduring a white-
knuckle ride as the seconds ticked down to the close of the auction. The
very last thing I wanted was somebody posting about it here of all
places! And I realised what Bill and the others were concerned about.

I can see both sides - the internet (and especially email lists like this
one) are primarily about communicating with your fellow (wo)man and
wanting to be helpful. That's what everyone does here. Yet buying and
selling gear - what most of us do at some time - means we would perhaps
not want to be *too* helpful sometimes.

It really is a dilemma. I figured that the benefits of staying quiet,
outweighed the disadvantage of upsetting members. But even so, there are
no rules, it just sorta comes naturally. Like gowing down to a small pub
- the regulars' names are not plastered on their chairs, but by God if
you sit in one, you might as well drink in a small dark room!

Kindest regards,

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| www.macads.co.uk/snaps _____________________________ Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk