During the decade or so I operated a business in Oz, I seem to remember that, amongst other powers held at that time, sales tax agents could arrive without notice and hold corp officers for 24 hours without benefit of counsel. Always tended to make one very careful to keep good records and quite cooperative during the annual "visits." A few good war stories on that front. Great memories. As I recall, at that time, income tax agents were not afforded such powers ---.

Otis Wright

John Coyle wrote:

Frank, you'll appreciate this.

The Australian tax-man wanting  it all  his own way: Section 92(2) of the
Sales Tax Assessment Bill:

" For the purposes of cancelling a tax benefit, the Commissioner may, in the
assessment, determine any or all of the following:
(a) that particular things are to be treated as not having happened;
(b) that particular things are to be treated as having been done by a
different person or to have happened at a different time;
(c) that particular things that did not actually happen are to be treated as
having happened and, where appropriate:
(i) to have been done by a particular person;
(ii) to have happened at a particular time."

Fortunately, I don't think it ever got into the Act, which has now been
superseded by GST law anyway, but it underlines the way bureaucreats thiink
(if that's an apposite word!).

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>