*istD or any equivalent DSLR seems to reproduce decent
outputs at higher ISO(say 400+) speeds.

In outdoor photography, for an amature photographer,
if the focal length of the lens is less than 135mm, I
think tripod may not be a real necessicity.

This comes as big relief for me because I need not
have to carry my 3KG tripod for hiking.

I agree tripod is needed for long teles like 300mm/2.8
because their weight makes it difficult to do handheld
photography.

I would like hear other opinion on this.

Thanks
Ramesh