My 3nd question is what is the standard method of
doing the work today?  Back then I supplied myself,
my equipment, and the blank film. I charged a flat price
for those items and turned over all exposed film. That
was it...My clients liked it as they just got standard
4x6 prints as proofs and enlargements on their own and
it gave me far less hassle. Is that common way to do it? I think I would
still be shooting 35mm film, but I wonder if clients will
still accept that type of arrangement...

I don't know about the other questions, re. marketing and business development, but while film is nice today as a backup, I hear more and more that digital is being used as the primary. You can do so much more, i.e. white balance on the fly, change iso on the fly, instant feedback, excellent post processing abilities in the digital lab, etc. The equivalent film setup would cost much more to put together.