> Vic is right. IMO there can only be 2 possible reasons for buying a 300mm
> 2.8 lens:
>
> 1. You need the extra stop over a much cheaper f/4 lens, notably for
> sport or (say) rock concerts or whatever (where flash may not be
> appropriate)...

 ... or if you plan to use it with a TC occasionally.

> or
>
> 2. Like me, you're a lens whore! Let's face it, a 300 2.8 says 'get a
> load of this you damn photo-rabble, hell I can barely zip it up in the
> mornings!' ;-)

Sometimes that's a useful message to send, too.  There have been several
occasions where I've been grabbing a few quick shots to put up on the
web, mostly with a digital P&S.  It's a lot easier to get past the trolls
on the barriers if you wave a big lens at them.