Ok here are the facts:
*  Camera - *ist D
*  CF card - Lexar 256 MB 12X
*  Camera shows 57 available shots when card is empty and the camera is in
best (***) JPEG mode.
*  I filled up the card until it the camera showed 0 available shots.
* I downloaded the shots into a folder on my computer.
* I was shooting in best JPEG
*  The Pentax photo browser confirms the shots were taken in Best JPEG mode,
they are all 3008 x 2008 pixels.
* There is ZERO chance I put any other shots in this folder.

Now the problem.  I have 101 shots in this folder.  How did that happen?

The Computer shows the files to vary in size by as much as one MB from about
1.9 - 3.02.

C onfused ry

---