Jpg compression varies depending on the content of the picture.  Lots of
areas of continuous tone compress far better than something with lots of
detail or lots of grain/noise for example.  The camera doesn't know in
advance how small it will be able to make the files, so assumes that
they will all be max size (6Mb I think) so that it doesn't tell you
there are more shots available than is possible.  As you fill the card,
the camera adjusts for the extra space, so after 46 shots which are 3MB
(the equivalent of 23 at 6Mb), the camera would probably show 24 shots
left.