Hi,

Two nations divided by a common language, I think.

I'm certainly aware of the use of the apostrophe to indicate
contractions. What we are taught is that there are 2 main uses for the
apostrophe: to indicate possession, and to replace missing letters in
contractions. There are one or 2 exceptions, and other fairly minor
uses. The Oxford Guide to Style gives OK'ing, KO'd, OD's, SOS'ing as
examples.

For the record, I don't 'insist upon concrete rules of usage', and I'm
in no way 'kind of ignorant of the multitudes of variation in such
usage'. Issues like this are a matter of degree, and to some extent of
culture. We already see the influence of text messaging on the way
people write and spell. There are people who defend -'s as a plural
using exactly your arguments who will get hot under the collar about
CUL8R etc. Nobody can be 100% consistent in this. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENS
WHEN PEOPLE WRITE ALL IN CAPITALS. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE OTHERWISE
MILD-MANNERED PEOPLE GET ANNOYED AT THAT and consider also all those
people whove given up on punctuation and speling altogether and defend
themselves with the claim that hey their getting thr msg across so
fuck off dude its all about comunicatn anyway and you know what im
saying without me having to follow all your rules
whydoweevenbotherwithspacesbetweenwordsitworkedjustfinefortheromansitcanworkjustfineforussogetoffofmycase

The important thing is to know when it is and isn't suitable to use
something in different circumstances. One thing I think we can be fairly
sure about is that you cannot go wrong if you stick to 'the rules'. But you
can go wrong if you adopt the 'anything goes' approach. Imagine an
undertaker addressing a grieving widow with "Yo, bitch! Where's the
stiff?". Perhaps there are some cultures where this would be
acceptable, but an undertaker would be ill-advised to use it in all
circumstances.

Bob