> Since all I've shot is field sports, I'll yield to those of you with more
> experience in motor sports.  I recently shot a softball game with the *ist D
> and was surprised how quickly I got my timing back after 40 years.

It's very rare that you'll be in a position to run off multiple shots of
an incident, especially if you weren't expecting it.  The only time I use
continuous shooting mode is when I'm set up for somewhere I'm pretty sure
there'll be extended activity - either the drop of the green flag or at
the first turn.

I'd never use the *ist-D for such an assignment, though.  Not because
it will fill the buffer, but because the frame rate is just too low.
For those sort of things I'd use my PZ-1p (4.3fps) or, if I could pre-
focus, the trusty old MX + Motor Drive, which can do 5fps.

For everything else (even a car going off into a gravel trap, or going
over a jump) it's more important to pick the right moment. Even with
a 5fps frame rate a car going 100mph travels 30 feet between shots;
it's extremely unlikely that you'll capture just the right moment if
you rely on a motor drive to choose the timing for the shot.

I've been quite successful with the MZ-S over the past couple of years;
I expect to do at least as well with the *ist-D.