> I looked at the Pentax PEF file and noticed that it starts out
> directly with what looked like EXIF information.  To see if this
> is true I wrote this simple perl script:  . . .

Actually, as has already been noted  on the PDML, a PEF file is
simply a TIFF file.

It looks as though it starts off with an EXIF header because the
EXIF structure is closely modelled after the TIFF format.

In fact what you have is a TIFF IFD at offset 8 in the file (with
links to a couple of secondary IFDs), and a real EXIF IFD which is
at offset 330 in the files I have taken a look at.