(Shel wrote
You can't convert me to your point of view, really.  We pretty much agree ...
we just
take a different approach to the final image.  You're a more technical guy,
it helps you
to know why certain things are.  I'm less technical, and just accept what is
and work
with it as best I can.)

Years ago I made the decision that I did not have enough time in my life to
become a master printer. So I focused on trying to be the best photographer I
could and, as a result, shot slides primarily rather than prints. I put what
little spare time I had developing my eye as a photographer rather than my
technical knowledge. More recently as computers made printing and manipulating an
image much easier, I developed some skills in that area that allow me to print
images, manipulate images and even create images on the computer. I think
those of us who focus too much on technical aspects of photography lose out on the
real creative process of taking great images. More recently, I have to admit
that I have been caught in that trap and have let my photographic skills slide
a little while being caught up in too much technical stuff.
Even trying to figure out newer autofocus cameras leave me a little confused.
It's why I always go back to my LX.
To conclude, I'm trying not to say that one approach is better than another,
but I have to admit that, given the limited amount of time most of us have to
dedicate to all things photographic, I think most of us would benefit from
keeping it simple.
Just my 2cents
Vic