Dave said:

"Someday we might see ourselves having to order film from places like B&H
because finding a good selection if any downtown might be tough.  And we
might become dependent on mail order processing, which for the most part is
the way slides always have been.  But I doubt we will see film literally
disappear.  I'm considering trying to process color negatives at home.  But
that part only and then scan the negs as usual."

Dave, you just explained my life, LITERALLY.  I have to order all of my film
from Photocontinental in Brisbane, which is a complete pain in the butt.  I
order propacks by the dozen, which means CONSTANT mail ordering, and BIG
outlays of money at any one given time - a normal film order for me is in
excess of au$300, and I do this at least once or twice per fortnight.  It
drives me completely in sane - particularly as I am a "touch and see" type
of person and I like to be able to browse everything that is available to
me, pick it up, turn it over etc, but with my film, I have to go by whatever
the salesperson on the phone tries to tell me. It also means that I have to
know at least 2 weeks in advance for all of my bookings to allow time for me
to order film in specific to the job.  The only film I can buy in town is
Fuji Superior 100, 200 and 400, (which I have used MANY a time, when I have
been "stuck"), Kodak Select Black and White (which I HATE), and the new
Kodak High Definition (which only comes in equivalent to ISO 200 in
Australia, I *think*). ALL of my processing is also mail order, which means
it takes 2-3 weeks for my prints to come back from the time I sent them off.
Just had a nice surprise this morning, got back some prints from a shoot I
did on Frid. 21 Nov - exactly 2 weeks ago!  Woohoo!  That was QUICK by my
standards.

I too, have been considering processing my own colour negs at home, but have
decided against standing there inhaling chemicals all day, and plus the
*istD is imminent, so I won't NEED to worry about silly little things like
film anymore!

tan.