----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul"
Subject: Re: Coming to terms with *ist D lens mag factor?

> Hi,
>
> I think its a bad idea to think of it as a magnification factor, as its
> really cropping the edges.  One thing that annoys me is that even though
> a 50mm becomes the right length for a portrait lens, its not as
> flattering as really having an 85mm focal length on the camera. Also my
> standard lens is a 24mm lens and using this lens as a 38mm (i'm using a
> 10d) the images are no where near as compressed as they would be with a
> 35mm or 40mm lens on 35mm file.

Try using a 105mm lens on a 6x7, or a 150mm lens on a 4x5.
You can't compare APS format digital to 35mm that way.
It's a different format, with some advantages and some disadvantages.

I find that with 6x7, I can't secure sufficient depth of field to do the
type of landscape work I do, and I can't secure fine enough grain and
sufficient detail to get the results I like.
Yet I can secure sufficient depth of field and get the grain/resolution I
like with 4x5 inch.
William Robb