On Thursday, Dec 18, 2003, at 00:44 America/New_York, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

I thought I tried that once and couldnt get it to clean. hmmm.

When you put in an ink cartridge, it has to prime the cartridge by doing something similar to a head cleaning. That's why it makes the same groaning noises. I don't know if it's as thorough as a head cleaning (btw, if you perform several head cleanings in succession, each cleaning is a little more thorough --- and flushes more ink --- than the previous one), but it's worked for me before. You may have to fake more than one cartridge replacement.

--jc