Peter, with digital images, you need to specifically ask for "no
  processing" and "no fill in" (the last if your images are already
  dimensioned according to the print size and printer resolution).
  I had a similar experience with a Fuji Frontier lab and the operator
  emphasized I should have asked for the above options. Which I
  immediately did.

  Servus,  Alin