"The funny thing is that I suspect the reasoning surrounding dropping
the
aperture ring control may have partly been a function of the move to
make this
body as small as possible. Anyone who actually owns a *ist will well
know that
you have to set the lens in the "A" position before it's mounted, the
simple
reason is that there is such a small gap between the overhanging
prism/rtf that
even I can't get my finger in to depress the lock button :-(  "

This explains a lot.  I had no idea what you meant when I first read
this because I have never had any problem pressing the A-lock button on
the end.  I also have no trouble removing my CF card, although I can
easily see how someone might.  My fingers must be a lot thinner than
yours.  I've always been comfy with Pentax because the cameras are
small.  It just shows how personal some of these calls can be.

On a more general note, my FA 100 2.8 macro has decide to start working
with the *ist D again.  When I get home I'll try the FA 135 and the FA
50.  I just have no idea what when wrong.  I have been fiddling with
these lenses every other day for about two weeks in the hope that I
would see the problem.  The only thing different is that this is the
first time I had the grip on the camera.  In addition, I took out the
batteries in the camera itself so that the entire package would be
lighter  but I would still have the vertical grip.  Could removing the
batteries have reset some function that was causing me problems?

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450