Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The negatives look pretty normal to me (errors in
> technique notwithstanding ;-) ), but the prints look extremely
odd.
> I've tried to point out the weirdness in the captions.
Overall, the
> dark areas have come out looking almost solarised - areas that
are
> virtually black in the negative have been printed even lighter
than some
> of the shadows.

Hi Steve,

My guess is that they do digital printing on photographic paper
with a kind of digital mask not perfectly adjusted.
It reminds me the kind of look the AGFA digital lab printer
(dunno its name) gives to certain shots: it provides a digital
mask to alter the normal contrast of the pictures through some
sort of electronic dodging and burning, mainly avoiding that,
for instance, dark areas (clear on the neg) are reproduced
completely black. My lab has one of those machines and it
ususally gives wonderful results, although a couple of times the
mask was too evident (nothing compared to your shots but very
similar).

> Anyways, my question is: is this "normal", or should I be
asking for
> reprints? :-)

I guess you should.

Ciao,

Gianfranco

=====
“To read is to travel without all the hassles of luggage.”

                        ---Emilio Salgari (1863-1911)