I think a lot depends upon the environment in which the photographer meets to discuss the booking. If the prospective clients come to the photographer's studio, they are influenced by what they see there. Pictures on the walls, diplomas, degrees, memberships in professional societies, the furniture, the studio photo equipment, and the presence of employees and assistants.

If they meet the photographer in their own home, or in the photographer's home, or in some mutually agreed on meeting place, I think the photographer loses something in prestige and bargaining power.

In other words, an obviously shoestring operation just doesn't command as much respect as an established professional studio.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and that's usually small. Happy brides and grooms are our best advertisers. The best album we can produce, containing the best work we can do will earn us referral business. But our business appearance and professionalism will help to keep the number of chiselers down.

The limo company, the owners of the hall, the caterers, florists, etc. all have a very visible (and major) investment that can be seen up front. The clients are too impressed to try to cheapen the deal. Besides, those folks are hard to book because they are very busy.

Len
---
* There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es