Yes it indeed works that way. It's how I did it. Just make sure your batteries are fresh or run the camera from the AC adaptor as it says in the directions. The .bin file needs to be in the root directory of the CF card, NOT in the DCIM subdirectory.

Len
---
* There's no place like 127.0.0.1

From: Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pdml <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: There is some pentax news in http://www.dpreview.com/ (Now: Help, Please)
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:53:33 -0700

Need some advice, *istDerhood, please

My Windows 98 SE machine can't read from the *ist D directly, but reads from and writes to the Lexar CF card just fine when the card is removed from the camera and connected to the USB port.

From a quick glance at the instructions, it seems that I can copy the new firmware directly to the CF card (that is, with the card removed from the camera), insert the card in the camera, turn the camera on as instructed, and the *ist D will update.

Can some computer guru confirm for me that this will work okay?

Thanks much,

Joe

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize