I agree ... in part --- I think.. However, I'm not very impressed with the leadership of the professional educator community that I've encountered lately either. IMHO we could use some improvement on a lot fronts in education. Back to photo challenges 8-) .

Otis

William M Kane wrote:

Otis,

I know this is getting a bit off topic, but I need to step up on the soap box here:

Yes, the "school system" is churning out many students who can't do what is described below, and I will be the first to admit that. However, what you described is not just a matter of learning the "three R's" . . . it goes well beyond that . . . it is called work ethic. Now a work ethic can be started to be taught in school, but it is one of those things that is reinforced if not totally taught at home. If parents and communities don't stand up and help the school system teach this, the USA will continue on the same trend it's on. We can't stand up at the polls and demand "no child left behind", but then turn around the next day and complain that the taxes are too high, and we need to cut school funding. . . . we also can't place total blame on the school systems. Look at the leading countries (academically) cultures and you'll see that the learned behaviors we seek are not taught in toto in the schools.

Otis, I hope you do not think I am attempting to flame you. I'm just trying to vent some steam and perhaps share some of my understanding with the general public.

IL Bill