Hi,

I use this film regularly, most of my recent B&W shots (think of 35mm
cameras; in MF I pefer more traditional ones like FP4, APX or
Fortepan) was XP2s.

I'd say that XP2 is a very special film. As others mentioned, it has
probably the widest exposure latitude of all films available today,
and even the very special "balancing" B&W developing methods (think
Dulovits) are just a bit better, at the cost of using some hard to
get, expensive and extremely dangerous chemicals and extremely low
ISO ratings.

The resulting negs are of course of extremely low contrast, but they
have all the detail in the highlights and shadows that other films
would have already cut.

The hard thing is to make decent prints or scans from this, as most
of the time you will have to heavily raise contrast (and to make the
final decision on what to expose correctly) in the darkroom and/or
during digital post-processing.

Most "analog" labs or automated digital processors will fail here for
sure, but careful handling can achieve exceptional results.
Using high contrast and/or multigrade papers is a good point to
start. For the scanning people, a "brave" use of a "Levels" tool in
PS is absolutely necessary before anything could be published or
printed.

Gabor