----- Original Message -----
From: "Mishka"
Subject: Re: ye olde film v D debate, a bit long

> finest lens resolve far more than that.
> even on film.
> difraction limited lens can get >100 lp/mm at at f5.6, 50% mtf.
> so the 40 lpmm is mostly limitation of the film, afaik.

Lens tests are universally (and erroneously) done using a high
contrast (50:1 or higher) test chart.
This gives totally useless information for the pictorial
photographer, since lens resolution is directly tied to subject
contrast.
If a lens is tested at the more reasonable 1.6:1 toc, then more
useful resolution information is made available.

Note, if all you want the lens for is shooting resolution charts,
then go hard, and your 100 lp/mm number is probably as good a guess
as any, and film is not the limiting factor, as Tech Pan will resolve
over 200lp/mm at 1000:1.

If you want to know what the lens will really do in a pictorial
situation, toss the USAF chart, it's isn't worth the paper it's
printed on.

The best resolution test I have found is distant tree branches
against the sky on a still day.

William Robb