Ryan,

TV wasn't much in the US until post WWII.  My dad bought us a set in '49.  I remember
a number of variety shows (Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, Sid Caesar, Jack Benny) and
"Tom Corbet, Space Cadet" as a daily(??) serial that I watched.  There were only 2 or
3 channels in Chicago - now the national networks CBS, NBC, and ABC - and they didn't
run a full day of programming.  Everything was local except for a few hours in the
evening.

The oldest serious drama that I remember was the Halmark Hall of Fame, where the
Halmark greeting card company sponsored 1+ hour live productions of serious theater.
Quite a feat!

The oldest weekly drama that I can think of was "Dragnet".  It was a popular police
drama about 2 Los Angeles detectives solving crimes, brought in total from radio to
TV.  I think the radio scripts were very good and the writers made a quick transition
to TV.  I even believe the star of the show, Jack Webb, made the transition from radio
to TV.  Later, the westen "Gunsmoke" was another popular radio drama that was re-cast
on TV with great success.  I believe it became the longest running series in US TV
history.

"I love Lucy" is in there somewhere, but is more of an early situation comedy series.

Hope this helps,  Bob S.