I have one simple rule, and by following it I haven't dropped a camera in more than 25 years of shooting almost every day. I never ever use a camera without putting the strap around my neck. If the strap isn't the right length to enable me to use it correctly, I replace it. I have never felt encumbered by the strap. When I'm out in the woods shooting birds, and I have my camera on a tripod, the strap goes around my neck. Same as when I'm street shooting with a wide lens. One simple rule; one simple solution to the damaged camera problem.