Dave,

One way to "think" of fill flash is that it is supplemental highlights
much like using a reflector or hair light or something.  It is not the
main light that you would meter for.  So basically, it would help
lighten shadows, put a sparkle in the eyes, etc.  It is not meant to
be a main light.  If using the TTL metering in the camera, and
lowering the flash compensation (several different ways), then the
flash output is going to be lower than the sunlight and you are not
going to get overexposure, just minor fill.

I struggled with the thought process at first myself.  I have found
that by practicing it and shooting over and over observing the
behavior and effects that it makes much more sense now.  Since you
have a digital body, that is the easiest way to learn and observe.
Pick a subject where you have shadows on the face and then start with
no flash, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 compensation and you will see what I
mean.  For positive compensation it works better if you are not
shooting manual mode as you would get overexposure - if in one of the
auto modes (camera) then it would compensate for the higher flash
output.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

bcin> Tom V suggested this when i shot my friends wedding last year.
bcin> Set the shutter for less than the X sync speed(in this
bcin> case SP was 125 so i shot in 60th
bcin> and 30th)It
bcin> allows for more ambient light in the picture and you
bcin> lessen the black background,exposed
bcin> subject
bcin> problems.
bcin> Worked very well.Only one missed TTL shot during the
bcin> whole shoot.Mind you this was indoors
bcin> in a hall.

bcin> Its just this damn outdoor fill flash thing that i just
bcin> cannot get my head wrapped around.

bcin> To me shooting out doors in sun and having a flash go off
bcin> would make it over exposed. I
bcin> have read the
bcin> manuals for the cameras and flash,but to me they are vauge

bcin> Dave

                                >> Dave, TV - what is "shutter drag" technique?
bcin> Sounds interesting...