graywolf wrote:

Pentax USA has the policy that if they can not put the camera back to factory specs, and sometimes that means they are out of only one part, they will return it as unrepairable. That is a decision made by their lawyers for liability reasons. That does mean that while they will no longer repair a camera they may still have the parts in stock you need to do it yourself.

I do agree that charging someone to tell them they won't fix it is pretty unfriendly. I have not heard of Pentax USA doing that except for shipping and handling. And if you called first they would have told you they no longer repair that model, in fact they have a list of all the cameras they no longer repair on their website.

Not unreasonable for them to charge if you know what the deal is up front. I send a lot of older equipment in to places that charge a minimum fee to check if equipment is repairable -- if it is the fee usally goes agains the repair charge. If not, they charge me for their time to look at the equipment, which I find acceptable. I don't see why someone should work for nothing. Someone sooner or later is going to pay for that time. There are no free rides, beliefs of this list notwithstanding. What am I missing???? What is so unfriendly about getting paid for ones effort..............

Otis Wright

--

Peter J. Alling wrote:

That's not so bad. I had a local camera shop send an X to a local authorized Pentax repair depot. It needed to
have it's hot shoe re-attached. I even supplied all the parts. Other than the missing hot shoe the camera although
nicely brassed worked flawlessly. It was returned unrepairable due to lack of parts. Missing the parts I supplied!
Their handling included bending the shutter release just enough to keep the meter from turning off and denting the
prism housing. For this special treatment I was charged the $20.00 deposit to get the camera returned. On top of
this when I complained to the shop owner they refused to take any responsibility or action giving me the phone number
of the repair dept. so I could complain directly. I'll not be going back there again and advise all my friends and acquaintances
to tear clear. At least the ME Super wasn't any worse when it came back.

mason wrote:

camera shop and had it promptly returned as a no fix due to unavailability of
parts at a cost of AU$50. The simple fact is that it has a dodgy ratchet on the

Rob Studdert

I think it is very unfair to charge for letting you know that the work cannot be done. Please do not tell me that the technician spent 5 minutes on it and someone has to pay for it.

I have met (unfortunately) some people who prey on others by charging them for every second of their lack of professionalism. They charge by the hour and they couldn't care less if it takes them 1h or 5h to work it out. I think you should pay per job. If someone is incompetent enough to spend 4h on a 20min job - IT SHOULD BE THEIR PROBLEM, not a huge bill for the client!

---- (*)o(*) ---- Robert [EMAIL PROTECTED]